Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Thrift Shop Finds

I made a quick run to the local thrift store today to get rid of a bunch of stuff, and while I was there, went inside to see if I could find any cool stuff. Not too much today, but I did get a few things. It's actually hard to find good deals at this particular thrift store, as many of the items are over priced. For example, silver bowls/platters; it's not unusual for them to be marked $8 or more, with the small the same price as the large!

This silver footed bowl was only $4, and I wanted to use it to display old photos (I've seen the idea in a few places). I got two books, Anne Tyler's "Breathing Lessons" and Philippa Gregory's "The Boleyn Inheritance". I've never read any Philippa Gregory, but I keep hearing they're great stories, and with the new movie coming out, I thought I'd try one! The best find though is the box of Slang Flashcards. They are the funniest things, and for under a dollar, I had to get them! The cards are large (5"x7") and look like traditional flash cards, with Dick-and-Jane type illustrations. The words are current slang words though, with "dictionary" definitions and sentences using the words. The words include bling, sick, mad props, jack, ice, etc. These words next to the prim illustrations are hillarious! My favorites include a dad going off to work hugging his little boy with the sentence "Yo, lil' dawg, daddy's got to bounce." Also older couple with a birthday cake, with the grandma saying to the grandpa "Yo baby, after all these years, you're still my mack daddy." Too funny! I want to use them for scrapbooking, maybe some cards, and maybe even frame a couple. Love it!

No comments: