Friday, August 26, 2011

Back to School Food Ideas

I've been scouring the web looking for great ideas for Back to School breakfasts, snacks, and lunches. I have discovered that if I don't have a plan, food items don't get purchased, and as a result healthy options are not available when the boys get hungry. So often I resort to bagels, trail mix, or a quesadilla for after school snacks, when with a little preparation I could offer a bigger variety of healthier foods.

So my plan for the year is to have a rotating list of snacks, lunches, and breakfast foods each week. I can even write up a grocery list ahead of time. That is usually my biggest stumbling block 'cause if it's not on the list it doesn't get purchased! Here are some great snack ideas I've found:

fruit, granola and yogurt parfait
fruit kabobs with yogurt dip
{photo via Good Life Eats}

cut-up veggies with dip (hummus, guacamore, ranch)
{photo via Good Life Eats}

Smoothies
Zucchini or Banana Bread
Popcorn

And I have to include this link for baked oatmeal as I think this may be my go-to breakfast this school year.
 {photo via Simple Bites}

Egg McMuffins are a huge hit in our house. With or without bacon and cheese, and use a whole wheat muffin for extra nutrition.
 {photo via Simple Bites}

Scones. Delicious and hearty. This recipe has oats for fiber and heart-health.
{photo via Simple Bites}

Fruit and yogurt parfaits, with or without granola sprinkled on top.  These make great after school snacks as well.
{photo via Simple Bites}

What are your go-to ideas for Back to School snacks, lunches, or breakfasts?


No comments: